North Korea and the United States made history when they met in June of 2018; however, now it appears as though diplomacy may be failing. Also, the Communist nation, according to satellite imagery, looks to be gearing up for another missile test.
The United States has made considerable efforts to persuade North Korea to dismantle all nuclear testing facilities and last year, and it appeared as though progress was taking place when North Korea ‘blew up’ one of its facilities.
However; according to satellite imagery from South Korea, North Korea looks to be preparing the launch pads at the Sohae launch facility in Dongbang, Pyongyang. The communist nation has launched missiles from the facility in the past, so when the images showed signs of similar activity, experts on the region picked up on their movements.
“I worry a little bit that this could get worse before it gets better because both sides want to try to figure out how to get the other side back to the table,” said Victor Cha, a former official in charge of Korea relations in the George W. Bush administration. “And they may say pressure is the way to do that.”
Cha, with CSIS, suggested Thursday that tensions could continue to rise between Washington and Pyongyang before things cool down.
North Korea’s biggest ask in negotiations — the lifting of significant sanctions imposed by U.N. Security Council resolutions — has shown “that they see that pressure as troublesome,” he said.
“One of the lessons, I think, that both sides took away from the summit is that pressure works. … And then you see, in terms of our imagery, that the North Korean response is to go back to some of these sites that they know bother us, whether it’s the nuclear test site or the Sohae satellites — launch site — and say, ‘Look, we’re going to start doing some stuff here too.'”
John Bolton, the National Security Advisor, stated that President Trump would be very disappointed if North Korea carries out another missile test. Before the new satellite images, the United States had canceled upcoming war games with South Korea to display a sign of ‘good faith’ with North Korea.
Although, President Trump claimed on Twitter that he canceled the wargames “to save hundreds of millions of dollars for the U.S. for which we are not reimbursed.”
In response, the regime said that the games are a “violent violation,” and a “frontal challenge to the aim and desires of all [Korean] people and the international community for peace and stability on the Korean Peninsula.”
”JoongAng. “”[Independence.” . . (): . .It is very strange … Long-range rocket launch ready capture” journal=”JoongAng Ilbo” volume=”” issue=”” year=”2019" pages=”” medium=”” addt=””]