Conflict and Security

Worries of War: State Department Orders Personnel to Leave Iraq Embassy as Tensions With Iran Mount

iran

The State Department ordered all non-essential personnel to leave Iraqi Embassy and Consulate immediately amid mounting tensions with Iran. The State Department issued the warning early on Wednesday morning.

Further, the United States has ordered all troops in the region to be on high alert. However, allies with the United States are requesting to see the threats made by Iran.

Also, Iran is claiming that the United States is attempting to drag it into an unnecessary war. Although, Saudi Arabia claimed on Tuesday that critical energy infrastructure had come under attack.

Last week, the United States dispatched the U.S. Abraham Lincoln and B-52 bombers to the region, claiming that they received information that amounted to threats from Iran.

Further, Iran pulled out of the nuclear deal in order to renegotiate terms. The United States backed out of the nuclear deal a year ago.

President Trump on Tuesday denied that the Administration planned to send more than 100,000 troops to the region and said; “Would I do that? Absolutely … If we did that, we’d send a hell of a lot more troops than that.”

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo sided with the President and said; “We fundamentally do not seek war with Iran.”

Hamid Baeidinejad, Iran’s ambassador to the United Kingdom, said the Trump administration made a “serious miscalculation” in deploying an aircraft carrier strike group, B-52 bombers and other military personnel and equipment to the Persian Gulf to counter alleged, unspecified Iranian threats.

Further, Baeidinejad claimed that neither Iran or its proxies were behind the “sabotage” of oil tankers in the Gulf belonging to Saudi Arabia, Norway and the United Arab Emirates.